Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Are Publishing Companies Still Editing Books?

 

My youngest child is back at school and today was the first day of school for our pre-K students. It was fun to finally start working with our kids for the year. How am I doing? I'm exhausted. This is mostly due to recovering from dental surgery. I miss solid food. I have also realized at school I need to drink more water. One of the nice things about working with the really little kids is getting to go outside for recess twice a day. Give me that fresh air. 

As you can see I treated myself to a new mat for the kitchen. I'm looking forward to putting it out in a few weeks. Bowie has given the dog-themed mat his seal of approval. 

I've been reading a book that recently came out and I'm really torn about it. I know all the work an author puts into their book and I'm dismayed that this book was released. I'm struggling to stay engaged in the story because I swear it should have been edited one more time. There are tense changes, repetitive words, and filler words slowing the story down to a crawl.  I decided to put it down and switched to another book and within a few pages I was lost in this new book. The second book is self-published.  I'm very grateful for self-publishing and freelance editors, the cost to the consumer is low and the quality is as good--and can be better than big publishing company books! 

How is your week going?  

2 comments:

Snapdragon said...

Was the first book traditionally publish? That would be very odd for it not to be edited.

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

How fun to work with 3 & 4 year olds! I imagine they are all adorable.