First of all...

Thursday, January 12, 2023

That Dangerous Energy Thank You #Netgalley!

 



This is the first time I have read anything by Aya de Leon, but it won't be the last. I really enjoyed this book, it has a very satisfying ending. This book is a romantic thriller that focuses on fossil fuels, energy consumption, and climate change.  Aya de Leon does a great job of balancing information and action, especially when it came to the textile arts. Yes I know this book is a corporate climate change thriller but a nice chunk of it describes what Morgan does as an artist.  Morgan designs her own clothes and went to fashion school, but her passion is quilting. The scenes describing how she created a quilt to enter a contest is very interesting for someone who knows almost nothing about quilting. I love how quilting is a form of art and a practical way to not only tell stories but also a way to reuse fabric instead of discarding it. Quilting fits in well with the theme of the book that time is running out to affect climate change. 

The pacing of the book is wonderful, and I appreciated that the characters are nuanced and have depth, there is no knight in shining armor or a perfect badass hero--which makes everyone in the story more relatable. 

And as an aside, the color scheme on the cover and the artwork of it is gorgeous! 

Five Stars for this romantic thriller it was a great ride! 

Thank you,


NetGalley for the ARC!

*** Kensington Books has a little reading challenge for the first quarter of 2023 and  I am counting this book for a book by an Author of Color category. 

#ReadignRefreshChallenge


3 comments:

WendyW said...

I love the climate change angle, and I don't think I've read a book about a young woman who quilts. Nice review!

Northwoman said...

I love the sound of all the things which blend into this story. Great review!


Anne - Books of My Heart

Carla Loves to Read said...

This sounds intriguing, Victoria. I haven't read much climate fiction, but that angle sounds interesting.