Pages

First of all...

Thursday, April 7, 2022

Like A Sister by Kellye Garrett


 

Having enjoyed  Hollywood Homicide immensely, I was looking forward to the day it was my turn to check out Like A Sister from my library. Now this book is considered a thriller, not a cozy mystery, which is fine because I enjoy both genres.

Thrillers are usually tense, and this book does have tension--but there isn't the ticking clock countdown most thrillers have, and this book has more humourous lines than a thriller usually has, Like a Sister contains elements found in cozy mysteries in a thriller situation. 

One example of the descriptive humor in this book:

"Ms. Scott, you beat us." Green was behind me, joined by a standard-issue young white guy. The type who looked like he made daily use of his Planet Fitness membership but never whipped the machine down after. "My partner, Detective Zizza." 

This book was a fast read, I really don't like putting down thrillers if I can help it. I have heard that the audio version of this book is fantastic. As I said above, I borrowed the book from my library after having to wait a month on the holds list. The first option my library had was the physical copy of the book, so I grabbed it. 

This book is good it is entertaining and I rate it a 4.

I will say I have a couple of questions about the how of the murder and the why. I could have really used an additional paragraph or two from the killer explaining how they did it and why they felt they needed to--I think they could have resolved the issue easily without killing anyone. Two of the other suspects could have committed the murder more easily and with good very good motives.

I wonder if Kellye Garrett wrote any drafts with one of the other suspects as the killer but then decided to go with who is ultimately the murderer. This book could really have at least three different very plausible endings. I kind of wish this was a choose your own adventure book with several endings!

In any case, I look forward to what Kellye Garrett writes next! 

No comments: