First of all...

Monday, October 25, 2021

Cozy Mystery Talk! A New Series! #LiveLocalandDead #NetGalley

A new voice in the cozy-sphere, Live, Local and Dead (A Vermont Radio Mystery)  by Nikki Knight introduces us to WSV radio DJ and station owner, Jaye Jordan. 

Nikki Knight weaves a decent cozy mystery for our sleuth to solve, and in this story, the town really shines. I would like to visit ASAP, even if there is a snow or ice storm.  Nikki Knight gives the reader a real flavor of Vermont from Maple syrup tasting and a friendly moose to that independent spirit of New England. 

This book is more romance-heavy than some cozy mysteries. There is no love triangle, so if you like some nice romance but dislike a triangle, I think you'll be pleased. If you don't like any romance, this is not the book for you. 




Jaye has a dry sense of humor which I enjoy in my reading. Jaye converted to Judaism and the Jewish faith plays a role in this book, I can't think of another cozy that I have read where the sleuth was Jewish and I liked learning about some of the traditions of the faith through Jaye especially when it came to discussion of Jewish Hamantaschen Cookies

Where we find the dead body in this book sounds like something another writer dared Nikki Knight to try, unique to say the least. Additionally, the subplot hinges on one of my favorite motives, greed.  Everything comes together nicely at the end and I would like to read more in this series. I'm giving this book 4 stars because of the witty writing, the depth of the characters and because we make it through a whole book wherein the amateur sleuth is not physically assaulted during the sleuthing--- which is far too common in cozies. 

4 stars to #LiveLocalandDead thanks for the ARC #NetGalley! All the opinions are mine! 

1 comment:

Carla Loves to Read said...

Sounds like a fun cozy series. I will have to watch for it.