Pages

First of all...

Thursday, October 7, 2021

When The Lights Go Out by Mary Kubrica ( there will be a spoiler)

 Not since Sally wasted her entire night, losing out on all her tricks and treats, sitting in a pumpkin patch with Linus waiting on the Great Pumpkin to show, has anyone been hoodwinked and cheated as I was by this book. 


On GoodReads the book is described like this: 

"Jessie Sloane is on the path to rebuilding her life after years of caring for her ailing mother. She rents a new apartment and applies for college. But when the college informs her that her social security number has raised a red flag, Jessie discovers a shocking detail that causes her to doubt everything she’s ever known.

Finding herself suddenly at the center of a bizarre mystery, Jessie tumbles down a rabbit hole, which is only exacerbated by grief and a relentless lack of sleep. As days pass and the insomnia worsens, it plays with Jessie’s mind. Her judgment is blurred, her thoughts are hampered by fatigue. Jessie begins to see things until she can no longer tell the difference between what’s real and what she’s only imagined."

So this book is supposed to be a psychological thriller and I enjoy that type of book. As a reader you expect certain things from thrillers or mysteries--just like a romance isn't a romance with out a happily ever after (HEA).  

This book is not as described. As I was listening I thought that the plot and what was going to was getting to be more and more implausible and around the halfway point I thought to myself...

*here comes the spoiler, bail now if you want to read this book for yourself and don't want to know this*

**still here?**





ready?



I thought to myself, this story has become so absurd; is this all a dream the character is having?


Guess what?

It was!  The plot of the book is a dream. That's not a psychological thriller, that's just a mean trick to play on the reader.

BAH! 


1 comment:

Carla Loves to Read said...

I find Mary Kubrica's books are either hit or miss, nothing in between. I am glad I didn't give this one a go. Nice review Victoria.