Pages

First of all...

Sunday, August 15, 2021

Some October in August! #MrsClausandtheHalloweenHomicide #NetGalley


Having enjoyed Mrs. Claus and the Santaland Slayings, I was excited to request an ARC of the second book in the series from NetGalley.  I know it's only mid-August, but I'm ready to start getting excited for spooky season.  

Liz Ireland does a nice job of expanding the Mrs. Claus Universe I enjoyed learning about snow monsters as part of the newfound Halloween traditions of the town.  I love how April had embraced her sleuthing tendencies and is building lasting relationships in her adopted home. 

Unlike most cozy mysteries, there is no body in the first chapter.  In this story there is a different inciting incident and then you read on with bated breath wondering is someone about to get it?  Who is going to be the victim?  The only thing I would like to see in the book would be to have Nick be a more in-depth character. I feel he is not as fleshed out as his mother, sister, or sister-in-law, or even as much as elfman Jingles.

This seasonal cozy has a great mystery and is chock-full of the Halloween spirit. 4 stars!  Or should I  say 4 🎃🎃🎃🎃!!!
 Definitely add this to your fall reading list! 
 

2 comments:

Greg said...

4 pumpkins!! That's a neat angle, having the murder not happen early necessarily but wondering who gets it :)

Carla Loves to Read said...

I do love cozy mysteries, but this is one I was not sure about. After reading your review, I might give it a try. Nice review Victoria.