Pages

First of all...

Monday, January 11, 2021

Farewell Christmas Decorations and A quirky and enjoyable book #NetGalley #ConfessionsofaCuriousBooksellerANovel

 I don't know about you but this month seems to be trucking along.  It's helpful that so far we are enjoying mild winter temperature and even saw the sun a couple times over the last 10 days.  Over the weekend, I finished taking down our Christmas decorations and have transitioned to Winter and Valentine's Day.  We spend most of our time at home, and therefore I like to change our decor with the seasons.  

Here is a picture of my beloved coffee station updated for the remainder of winter.


In the picture frame is a Valentine's Day card the Hubs picked up a the local Dollar Tree.  I cut it up and added a red starburst decoration to a sliver frame I got on clearance at Michael's and Wah-La, festive Valentine's Day decor! 

I'm pleased with how things turned out.  The Hubs also brought home three planters so I can repot some plants from the 3-inch containers they have been stuck in since arriving at our house over the last few months. I hope I don't kill them- on is a mum that I got for my birthday and right now it's lived longer than any mum I've had in my possession! 

Below is my latest book review! 

Confessions of a Curious BooksellerConfessions of a Curious Bookseller by Elizabeth Green
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I began reading this book, I became hooked because I wanted to know if Fawn would break up with the fellow she was dating. Then I was wondering about the cosplay pen-pal relationship. Then I began to see the heaps and heaps of dishonesty in all of her correspondence. Her dramatic flair was amusing and kept me reading as she became shadier and shadier--and developed quite the habit of emailing while drunk (never a good idea!) I almost wrote her off as a 50-something antihero who was unwilling to change for the better.

A quote from an email from Fawn to her sister at the beginning of the book that I found was funny: "Can you believe it's been three months? Just last week, he took me out to dinner and paid for it himself! If this doesn't smell like commitment, then I don't know what does!"

What kept me going was: 1. I needed to know how the Mark Twain situation panned out and 2. the emails from Jane. I could see a glimmer of a better person lurking under all the dross* that was covering Fawn.

As a reader you really think you know where this is going to go in the beginning, it sounds as if there might be some sort of romance in that "The Shop Around The Corner" style, and it's not--at all--which is great.

If you get annoyed reading about Fawn during the first half of the book, please keep going, or you are going to miss something lovely.

*I chose to use the word dross to describe all the crap Fawn heaps on herself during this book because I'm confident she would enjoy that wording.

I got a copy of this book thru #Netgalley

#ConfessionsofaCuriousBooksellerANovel #NetGalley


View all my reviews

3 comments:

Sophia Rose said...

I like your creative seasonal decorating to cheer up the house so you get a fresh view. I change my decor out to invigorate the house, too.

Fawn sounds like a tough cookie to like at first, but it sounds like she has quite the growth journey through all her on-line antics. In a certain mood, I like this type of story. Thanks, Victoria!

Victoria7401 said...

Yes Exactly Fawn takes some getting used to -I like how you see her various personas based on who she is talking to (her penpal, her sister, her staff VRS. herself in her journal).

Elza Reads said...

Hi Victoria! I also only took my Christmas tree down last week Wednesday. Loved it!

No theme at the moment though...! But I am already making plans for Valentines Day at school this year for the Library.

Thanks for stopping by our blog and I hope you will have a good week!

Elza Reads and TTT presents ABBA 2021