Pages

First of all...

Saturday, August 15, 2020

Back to School?

I am here to tell you that if you have school-aged children, you do not need to spend any time purchasing back to school clothes, completing supply lists before the first day of school ( whatever that looks like), or taking the first day of school picture.  Whatever you are doing, is good enough, period. 

Since I am now, according to Anna, a stay at home mom. I am trying to help the boys navigate their first days as their respective colleges.  Basically, I am reminding them to check their dashboards daily and nagging them to figure out what books they need and when they need to be where. Now if they were able to physically go to school, I would not be doing this, but since everything is changing moment by moment, I'm helping coordinate. 

Honestly helping the kids get the pandemic school year started off right helps me to not obsess over worrying about having a breast cancer recurrence. I have to schedule a CT scan for early September. Why should I be worried about a routine to follow up test? I shouldn't be, however, I am because that's how a post-traumatic stress trigger works.  Can I do anything about it?  All I can do is utilize my box of tools: 1. run, 2. write, 3. distract myself, 4. schedule a worrying time, or 5. attempt to use logic to offset my emotional response.

Speaking of distractions, my local public library had a take and make craft this week!  Look I made a light-up fairy garden! 

And another book review- reading or listening to books is my favorite distraction! 

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Hey Hey this book is older than me. Some of the language and tropes are quite outdated. I listened to the audiobook. The reader was very good. I figured out part of the mystery fairly early on and then listened to see if I was right and for the answers to other questions that were raised.

I haven't read any Hercule Poirot since I was like a kid and that was literally over 30 years ago, so I don't remember if this is typical of HP. If you like Agatha Christie books, obviously you'll enjoy this. If you are looking for a seasonal mystery, there is enough Halloween content to make this a worthy read.


No comments: