Pages

First of all...

Thursday, March 10, 2022

At Grave's End #READALONG Spoilers Below FYI!

 


I used my audible credit to purchase the audiobook for At Graves End the third book in Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress Novel.  

In the last book, I was dismayed that Cat and Bones had a quick vampire marriage and not a real proposal and wedding--so I was happy that at the beginning of this book a proper proposal happens.  Not too long after that Cat winds up detained because she actually believes her Mom wants to help with the wedding planning AHAHAHAHAHA. I guess Cat's hope for her mom's acceptance is going to spring literally eternal. 

There is a long scene of detailed torture in the book which I could do with about half the details. But that isn't the most horrifying thing that happens to Cat and Bones in this book.  When Bones levels up and can start reading Cat's mind, now that is a true nightmare! I don't want anyone being able to read my mind, esp my husband, how is that going to keep a marriage together--sometimes my brain has some cranky thoughts! Plus other vampires can hear her thoughts as well, she needs to work on learning how to shield her thoughts. 

I was happy to hear that Vlad is now on the scene, I think he gets his own book or something later on in this series, that will be fun!  I appreciated Jeaniene Frost trying to make Justina a more likable character, it just goes to show that Ms. Frost is a wonderful writer because she really knows how to push my buttons.  I dislike Tate *more* than Justina now and that's really saying something! 

In this book Cat's stunted emotional growth again shows up when she says stuff like she can't believe Don didn't tell her the truth. Ah, the dude didn't tell you you were his niece or that your life had been extended from vampire blood, so why are you surprised he didn't tell you the truth about something else! 

I was distracted as I listened to the final battle of the book and honestly, by the end of the book I couldn't remember why exactly Patra and Mencheres were in a war. I think this happened to me because juxtaposed with reading this book I was watching the news and seeing the carnage one man has unleashed in Ukraine, has me pondering how dumb war is and what crap it is that one person can destroy so many other people.  

Join the Read-along HERE


 I hope book four kind of, for lake of a better description, plumps up the supporting cast, I'd like to get to know other characters better (except Tate) so that I would be more investing in the overall story being told--if there is an overarching storyline?  Maybe there isn't and I should be reading this as each book is almost a stand-alone?

If you have read or are reading this series, please post below and share your thoughts!

2 comments:

Berls said...

"sometimes my brain has some cranky thoughts!" <-- THIS! Omg worst thing ever. I would devote all my extra energy to learning how to block. Although silent communication would be cool.

"I dislike Tate *more* than Justina now and that's really saying something!" <-- Um yes. Who would have ever believed that? Justina actually had me laughing in this book!

I'm sorry everything happening in Ukraine distracted you from being able to fully enjoy this book. It's hard not to be distracted by such needless death and destruction :( (Oh Patra is trying to kill Bones because Mencheres told her a prophecy that she would be killed by a man who married a half-breed like 100 years ago or something. Ironic, because if she hadn't known that and thus tried to kill Bones, they never would have hunted her down.)

Great review!

Northwoman said...

Berls said it all. Thank you so much for reading with us and sharing your thoughts and reviews. Unfortunately I have plenty of hate for Tate and Justina. But the author does a great job adding in the humor.

There are 4 Vlad books, a Spade book, a Mencheres books and next January 3 Ian books.

Anne - Books of My Heart