Pages

First of all...

Thursday, September 17, 2020

It's Official! I have hit my Goodreads.com 2020 Reading Challenge Goal- A Pefect Book to Peak On!

You Should See Me in a CrownYou Should See Me in a Crown by Leah Johnson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When it comes to YA, I love character growth. This book delivers a wonderful story and Liz Lighty grows into to her own right before our eyes.

This was an interesting take on a prom centered story. I enjoyed experiencing the prom season with all the kids at Campbell. One of the things I liked about this book was the relationships between the characters when there were hurt feelings and miscommunications they weren't too drawn out. People said they were sorry, people apologized. I would say this book is appropriate for middle school readers as well.


Start to finish this is a very well-done book. It's easy to root for Liz and to hope for all the good things to happen to her. If Leah Johnson would want to write a follow-up book where we see Liz at college, I would pre-order it as soon as it was available.

I was very happy to learn this was Leah Johnson's first book, it's such a good debut and I look forward to reading many more stories from Leah Johson. When you read this book, it's so easy to envision the town, Liz's friends, and her family. You also feel joy. So much joy in this book. I hope that someday very soon LGBTQIA stories of High School life are commonplace and not an exception.

I also appreciated the spotlight on Sickle Cell Anemia, I had thought that there were more medical advances for those who have it and it seems there is a lot more research and treatment that needs to be funded.

I read this for a book club and am really excited to discuss the book with the group via Zoom. Can't wait to hear what others thought of the book!


View all my reviews

No comments: