Pages

First of all...

Sunday, August 14, 2022

The Once and Future Witches

 I listened to the audio version of this book and it did take me a little while to get into the book, it has three POV characters so just a little time to get straight which sister was which, but once it got rolling. I loved it. I thought there were so many lines in it at were lyrical or a unique metaphor that I'm planning to buy the book so that I can see the words.

The idea that women are actually witches and that the powers that be want to keep women stripped of the witchcraft so that they were subservient to the male patriarchy, well as the kids say, it just hit different post-Roe than it might have hit before.  The book felt like thinly veiled nonfiction. 


In this book, Alix E.Harrow writes about the generations of women passing down the spells of their ancestors via nursery rhymes. I just thought that was so clever.  

One of the criticisms of this book that I saw was readers felt it was too long.  It is a longer book, but the storytelling really worked for me and I would say don't discount it based on the length.  My favorite chapter of the book was chapter 36. A lovely payoff to a couple of the storylines.  Additionally, this book does a nice job of incorporating real history in the fictional story.  

If you are looking for a witchy book, consider giving this book a try.  This one was a 5 star read for me!  


5 comments:

Greg said...

This sounds great. I do think something like this could definitely hit differently after Roe for some of us. I haven't read anything by this author yet except for a short story- I think it was over at Tor.dom- and it made me want to read her books.

WendyW said...

Terrific review. I don't mind a longer book if it's a good one!

WendyW said...

Terrific review! I don't mind a longer book if it's well written and keeps my attention.

Berls said...

I fully agree! It took me a bit to get into this one and I actually came THIS CLOSE to DNFing. But I'm so glad I stuck with it, because once I got connected to the characters and the plot got going it was good! And yeah, the plot definitely had a certain poignancy post Roe... Great review !

Northwoman said...

Berls and I really liked it to but it was a slow start.

Anne - Books of My Heart