Pages

First of all...

Sunday, August 28, 2022

Fun Cozy Mystery Audio Series, Nearly Departed in Deadwood by Ann Charles

 


As autumn arrives, I am drawn to reading more paranormal stories, and I was happy to find this series of which at least a few books are included in my audible subscription.  The series has paranormal elements that we learn just a little about in this first book in the series. A couple of features of this series that made it stand out to me are that it takes place in South Dakota--not many cozies are set in the Dakotas. Secondly, our amateur slueth is a single mom with nine-year-old twins.  Single moms with young kids are also rare in cozies.  

I was concerned when I was just 30 minutes from the end of the book that one of the main storylines was not going to be resolved in anyway, but fortunately it was--this book ends without any cliffhangers and leaves you interested in what is going to happen next in Violet's life. Some reviewers found her kids annoying but I didn't mind. I would say if you don't like grade school kids in your mysteries this is probably not the series for you. 
3.5 stars from me.

3 comments:

WendyW said...

I love the South Dakota setting. I lived near Deadwood for 10 years back in the late 80s/early 90s. This sounds like a fun cozy

Northwoman said...

I think I have this one as a free ebook.

Anne - Books of My Heart

Greg said...

Sounds like a fun and unique cozy.