Pages

First of all...

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Recipe from Food network magazine

I saved up my coke reward points and got a free subscription to the new Food Network Magazine--my first copy arrived on Friday and yesterday I noticed that I had all the ingredients on hand to make one of the recipes, so I gave it a go and it was very good. I lightened up the recipe as much as possible as the original recipe was def. not very healthy eating friendly. If you want to see the recipe from the website visit:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/croque-monsieur-mac-and-cheese-recipe/index.html

But here is what I did

Croque Monsieur Mac and Cheese
1/2 pound whole wheat rotini
2 cups skim milk
1 cup coarsely grated gruyere cheese
1 1/2 cups finely grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup egg substitute
3 slices 40 calorie Healthy Life w/flaxseed bread
1 med onoin diced
1 tsp Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic
3 tbsp all-purpose flouer
Pinch of Tastefully Simple Fiesta Party Mix
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
Kosher Salt
Tastefully Simple Seasoned Salt
6 oz diced Canadian Bacon

1. Preheat the oven to 425. Boil water and make the rotini cooking until it is al dente about 8 min. Drain pasta and put in a bowl then pour 1/4 cup of milk over it.

2. While the pasta is cooking combine both cheese in a bowl. In another bowl beat 3/4 cup of milk and the eggs, then fold in the bread and 1/2 of the cheese mix.

3. Spray cooking spray in a saucepan, heat on high and add the onion and cook until just brown. Sprinkling in the flour, Fiesta Party Dip, nutmeg, 1 tsp Koser Salt and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes. Slowly add 3/4 cup water and the remaining 1 cup of milk, and the Garlic Garlic then bring to a boil , stirring until thickened (which to me took a while and I wasn't sure how thickened it should be ?) When it seems thickened remove it from the heat and whisk it a bit to cool slightly then whisk in the remaining cheese, add all the pasta and toss.

4. Spray Pam in a shallow casserole dish. Add 1/2 of the pasta, top w/1/2 of the ham, and cover w/the other 1/2 of the pasta then top w/the other 1/2 of the ham, then cover with the bread mixture. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 20 min. Let rest for 5 min b/4 serving. I wanted a little more flavor so before serving I sprinkled a bit of Tastefully Simple Seasoned Salt on my portion

You can also skip the ham for a meatless dish.

No comments: