Pages

First of all...

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Things I have been cooking lately.

Last year I managed to have us not turn on the heat until 11/1. This year we had to breakdown and turn it on, on 10/11!!! We left September and went straight to the end of November. And with that, it's time to really cook.

The other day I made the Cheesy Chive Beer Cheese dip from our website, it was fan-tastic! Super Super good w/crusty bread.

Sunday I was in a pumpkin mood so I took my Nana's apple cake and added one cup pumpkin, 2 egg whites and 1/2 a cup of Peacans. Yum, but wait there is more! then I mixed 2 tbsp of the new Warm Up! Instant Mulling Spice w/a container of low fat whipped topping. It was fantastic on top of the Nana's Apple Cake. (well pumpkin cake). I could have eaten the whole container.

I finally used the acorn squash that I had sitting around with this recipe:

Acorn Squash Slices:

INGREDIENTS

* 2 medium acorn squash
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup maple syrup
* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
* 1/3 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS

1. Wash squash. Cut in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membrane. Cut each half crosswise into 1/2-in. slices; discard the ends. Place slices in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with salt. Combine syrup and butter; pour over squash. Sprinkle with pecans if desired. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until tender.

Today it is chili with ground turkey in the slow cooker. Mine has beans and ground turkey, the one Tom thinks I should make because it is his dad's recipe is ground beef, no beans and ketchup is the main ingredient. Blech.

Now Jewel had this special where certain items were 10 For $10, 5 for $10, 4 for $10, and 2 for $10, then if you bought the number to equal $10 you rec'd an extra $3.00. So I saw that Birdseye Meals for 2 were 2 for $10, less $3 for 2 for $7 and I had 2 coupons each one reading $1.50 off 1 Meal for Two. So that made the final price 2 for $4, so I went ahead and bought a couple of the meals. If I didn't have the coupons and Jewel didn't have the special, I wouldn't buy it because, you know I try to avoid the premade frozen meal aisle. Anywho, with my awesome deal I bought the Meals and one was very good. It was Spanish rice with shrimp and chicken. The amount that constituted a meal was a fair amount and the rice had a nice saffron flavor. I would buy this again if I have coupons and Jewel has a great deal.

No comments: